How cyber security games improve response time to threats

Your response time to cyber attacks is paramount to minimising damage. The latest report from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) reported that from January to June 2022, 71% of organisations reported a data breach within 30 days of becoming aware of it. The remaining 29% means that many Australian companies have room to improve their response times.

Improving your response does not only mean that you need the right procedures and technology in place, but you need a team with the knowledge to recognise suspicious behaviour and act fast. One way to train people and ensure they remember the procedures is to engage them in cyber security games. These allow people to experience different cyber security scenarios in a controlled environment and help them learn how to respond to threats effectively.

Give your team the knowledge to recognise threats

Recognising threats and suspicious activity is part of increasing the response time to a potential cyber attack. Noticing threats is a learned skill; not everyone in your business will have the trained eyes to pick out a strange request from a phishing email or feel alarmed by inconsistent behaviour from a colleague.

What’s more, if an employee unknowingly clicks on a malicious link, they could unintentionally provide attackers with access to the company network. Once inside, attackers can wreak havoc, stealing data, destroying files, and causing widespread disruption.

Cyber security games for employees give your team a fun environment to learn about potential threats and methods for recognising them quickly. These games might run a simulation or present a puzzle that encourages people to learn and then apply the techniques for identifying a threat. With this knowledge, people can then recognise these occur at work.

Train your team on responding to threats

When it comes to recognising and responding to threats, Layer 8 Security has a motto that we teach everyone: Stop, Think, Act and Defend, Prevent, Protect.

If someone recognises an attack, what should their next steps be? Once someone identifies the warning signs, they need to know who they should speak with and what to do to protect themselves and communicate their concerns.

A cyber security simulation game is an engaging way to train people on the process they must follow when reporting cyber threats. Games focusing on cyber security can help keep people informed and up-to-date on the latest threats and the protocols they should follow if they recognise the warning signs.

Cyber security games can also help you create a culture of security within the organisation. By playing these types of games, you can show your team that they must take cyber security seriously and that they need to be committed to protecting their data.

Regularly revisit response strategies

With the number of cyber attacks on the rise, it is more important than ever for you to have a well-executed incident response plan in place. You need to ensure that your plan is up-to-date and relevant; this is especially important in light of the ever-changing landscape of cyber threats. Additionally, it is essential to ensure that all employees are aware of the incident response plan and know their roles and responsibilities in a cyber attack.

Finally, it’s also important to periodically test your incident response plan to ensure it is effective. By regularly revisiting, testing and educating your team on the incident response plan, you can be confident that your team can identify and respond to a cyber attack should one occur.

Experience Layer 8’s Cyber Escape Rooms

Our Cyber Escape Rooms are a tried and true method of ensuring your team gain and retain valuable cyber security and awareness knowledge. Whether working remotely or finding a cause to get the team back together, we can tailor a physical or virtual Cyber Escape Room to suit your group. You can book a preview session to learn more about the experience.

Popular Posts